Short Pause Gaming Podcast #69: PS4 NEO is Revealed, The Next Xbox is Tested, & Is The NX Destined to Fix Nintendo's Software Woes?
It was a busy week around the Short Pause offices as Giant Bomb and Eurogamer blew the doors off of the rumored upgrade to the PS4, codenamed "NEO." Brent, Ben, Bender, and Frankie are back once again to talk new consoles and the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Giant Bomb's Megaton Reveal of the PS4 NEO - Giant Bomb allegedly got their hands on some developer documents concerning the rumored upgrade to the PS4, and they dropped a bombshell reveal of its contents this past week. Upgraded specs, a more powerful GPU, 4K gaming capabilities, and strict developer regulations were all revealed as part of the documents. Is this mid-cycle console refresh enough of an upgrade to justify a new purchase and/or the production of a new PlayStation console?
- Eurogamer Analyzes the PS4 NEO's Alleged Specs - Eurogamer claims to be privy to the same documents Giant Bomb was, and they've gone in-depth analyzing the NEO's innards. Just how much power will this thing have?
- New Xbox Rumors Just Won't Die Down - Not to be left out in the cold, rumors continue to circulate regarding a mid-cycle update to Microsoft's Xbox. The latest word is that Microsoft is testing new prototypes with upgraded parts. If Sony is preparing to release an upgraded PS4, Microsoft can't be far behind, right?
- This Week in NX Rumors - Rounding out the trifecta, known Nintendo insider Emily Rogers was back in the news talking about the NX this past week. She promptly debunked last week's claim that the NX controller was simply a device for streaming, while also revealing that the software output for the NX is going to "blow away" the Wii U (let's hope so). With rumored upgrades to the PS4 and Xbox due to release probably sooner than later, does the NX have enough under the hood to keep up with its competitors and entice third party developers to create games for it?
- Batman: Return to Arkham? - An alleged GameStop document and PEGI rating have revealed something called Batman: Return to Arkham, a collection of the first two Rocksteady Batman games (Arkham Asylum and Arkham City) remastered for PS4 and Xbox One. Where's Arkham Origins in this compilation?
- Plus, this week's new releases and much, much MORE!
Also available to download from iTunes. Subscribe here!
Intro and closing music provided by @REUELETHAN