Short Pause Gaming Podcast #98: New Switch Patents, The Future of PSVR, & Our Favorite Games of 2016!
In this final episode of 2016, Brent, Ben, Bender, and Frankie gather together one last time before the new year to discuss the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. The fellas also break down their favorite titles from the last year in gaming! Topics this week include:
- The Latest on Nintendo Switch - The Switch leaks continue as we get closer and closer to Nintendo's official reveal event, as this week saw a wealth of patents for the new machine available to the public. The patents appear to confirm a number of things we've heard about the hardware, including a USB-C port for charging, a MicroSD slot for expanding storage, a "Record" (Share) button, and increased CPU clock speed when plugged into the dock. Also, is the Switch going to be capable of supporting VR in the future?
- Super Mario Run is a Mega-Hit - Nintendo's first paid foray into iOS gaming is a bonafide hit, as Super Mario Run hit the Apple Store this past Thursday to huge numbers. Might a larger presence in the mobile space be the future of Nintendo?
- Yooka-Laylee Gets a Release Date - Playtonic's adorable love letter to the 3D platforming era finally has a release date! It's coming early April to PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Now that the Wii U version has been cancelled, is the Switch now in Yooka-Laylee's future?
- Final Fantasy's 30th Anniversary Plans - Recently, a crazy rumor surfaced surrounding the supposed plans Square has in place for Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary in 2017. Could the first 9 games in the series really be inbound for the PS4 and Vita?
- NPD November Results - The numbers are in for the very busy month of November, and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has claimed the top spot on the software sales chart, while the PS4 was top piece of hardware. With Dishonored 2 failing to make the list, what does this mean for the future of that franchise?
- The Future of PSVR - While 2016 was a busy year packed with a ton of important gaming moments, the advent of virtual reality may have been the most important of all. This is especially true of PSVR and its appeal to the mass market consumer. With a number of exciting games and projects on the horizon, what's next for virtual reality?
- Our Favorite Games of 2016 - It's our final show of the year, so it's only right we discuss everything we enjoyed about 2016! The fellas make their way through all of the finest 2016 had to offer and let everyone know their favorites.
- We can't thank all of you, the listeners, enough for your support over this past year. We hope you have a safe and happy holiday season, and we'll see you in a couple weeks as we start off 2017 with a bang!
- Plus, this week's new releases and much, much MORE!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com