Short Pause Gaming Podcast #146: A New Fable is Coming, Switch Dominates NPD, & Reacting to Labo
Brent's out this week, but the show must go on! Join Ben, Bender, and Frankie as they once again get together to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- A New Fable in the Works - Source close to Eurogamer have revealed to the website that Playground UK, the celebrated developer behind the Forza Horizon series, has been tasked with building a new open world RPG Fable game from the ground up. Is Playground prepared to take on a game of this magnitude? Also, just how far along in the development process is the game at this point?
- Nintendo Introduces Labo - In the most bizarre announcement of the week, Nintendo introduced us to Labo, their new build-it-yourself experiment for the Switch. Is this set to be a hit with families? Are people ready to shell out extra money for what's essentially a cardboard box?
- Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered Arrives in March - As March continues to fill up with releases, we can add one more to the list in Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered. The previously last-gen-only title will hit PS4 and Xbox One on March 20th, complete with 4K support for both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
- New Game Announcements - There were lots of new games in the headlines this past week. From a new Alien game developed by Cold Iron Studios, to a new multi-platform Scribblenauts title, to the rumors surrounding an NBA Jam remake and 2 new LEGO games based on The Incredibles and DC Comics' Villains, there were a ton of titles revealed or rumored for fans to get excited about. Is it a good thing that the Alien franchise is returning to the shooter space?
- December's NPD Results - December was a huge month for video games as the industry brought in over $3 billion dollars to close out 2017. The Switch came out on top of the hardware charts for the month, while Call of Duty: WWII maintained its position on top of the software charts. With Star Wars Battlefront II finishing up 2017 as one of the ten best-selling titles of the year, is this game selling better than we all thought? Have people moved past the game's microtransaction hullabaloo?
- We Happy Few Delayed - Originally set to release this upcoming April, We Happy Few has been pushed back to a summer launch now. With a few extra months in the oven, is this game going to be able overcome its weak first impression and draw people back to the title for its official launch?
- Plus this week's new releases, what we've been playing, and tons more!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com