Short Pause Gaming Podcast #145: Nintendo's Direct Mini, PUBG is Big on XB1, & Destiny's Roadmap Revealed
The 2018 gaming year begins in earnest this week, and there is much to discuss! Join Brent, Ben, and Bender as they once again get together to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Nintendo's Direct Mini - Nintendo fans were on edge this past week waiting for the Big N to officially confirm their long-rumored January Direct presentation. When Thursday hit, Nintendo delivered for their fans. While a shorter presentation than many were hoping for (this was a Direct Mini), they still delivered plenty of exciting announcements, showing off everything from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Remastered on the Switch, to the official unveiling of Dark Souls Remastered. With more great games outside of Nintendo's first-party stable announced during this Direct, will the Switch continue to draw impressive third party support moving forward?
- Bungie Lays Out Destiny's 2 Future Roadmap - In an in-depth blog post Thursday evening, Destiny 2 game director Christopher Barrett laid out developer Bungie's future plans for the game, addressing heaps of community feedback collected over the last several months. Is this what Destiny fans have been waiting for from Bungie? Is the developer on the right track with this update, at least in the immediate future?
- Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered is Official - After weeks of rumors, Ubisoft has finally confirmed that the previously PS3/Xbox 360 exclusive Assassin's Creed Rogue is coming to current consoles. Also, when is EA going to finally confirm that Burnout Paradise Remastered is coming West?
- PUBG Passes 3 Million Players on Xbox One - PUBG continues to be a runaway train and industry phenomenon, as the console version of the battle royale shooter has now surpassed 3 million players on Xbox One. Can PUBG sustain its audience and unprecedented success for the long haul in the face of increasing competition?
- Cyberpunk 2077 News Incoming? - A cryptic tweet from the official Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account made the rounds this past week, sending CD Projekt Red fans into a tizzy. With this being the first tweet the account has written in the last three or four years, is news about the eagerly anticipated follow up to The Witcher 3 imminent?
- PS4 has a Big Holiday Season - Sony has revealed that the PS4 moved just under 6 million units this holiday season, a staggering number over the course of just under a month. With that feat, the PS4 has officially sold over 20 million units in 2017. Will the Switch sell 20 million units in 2018?
- Plus this week's new releases, what we've been playing, and tons more!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com