Short Pause Gaming Podcast #132: Sony's Big TGS Presser, Spencer Promoted, & PUBG Calls Out Fortnite
It's a full house this week as Brent, Ben, Bender, and Frankie once again get together to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Nightfall Changes - In Destiny 2, Nightfalls play out much differently than they do in Destiny 1, and the fellas are divided on these changes. Are the changes to the Nightfalls in Destiny 2 ultimately for the better? Plus, the guys chime in with their early impressions of the Leviathan Raid!
- PUBG Calls Out Fortnite - In a strange PR move, Bluehole, the devlopment group behind the mega-hit PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, sent out a press release this past week condemning Fornite and its upcoming "Battle Royale" game mode over concerns that the addition is too similar to their own game. Does Bluehole have a case to stand on here? Are they going about tackling this the right way?
- Sony Delivers an Exciting TGS Presser - Tokyo Game Show 2017 was in full-swing this past week and, in traditional TGS fashion, Sony took to the stage to deliver a press conference focused on the company's latest Japanese wares. Taking cues from recent pressers at PSX and E3, Sony's Tokyo Game Show press conference this year was chock-full of new announcements and wall-to-wall games with little filler in-between. From the worldwide release date of Monster Hunter World and the surprise release of Final Fantasy IX on the PS4, to a new trailer for the Shadow of the Colossus remake and Square Enix's mysterious new action survival-shooter, Left Alive, Sony's conference was packed with exciting announcement, not only for the Japanese crowd, but for a worldwide audience as well. Is Monster Hunter World set to be a huge title for Capcom at the beginning of 2018?
- Bungie Details Destiny 2's "Faction Rally" Event - Starting this Tuesday, Guardians the world-over will have the opportunity to pledge their services to the faction of their choice in the hopes of earning sweet new gear in the future. In a nice twist set to make joining a faction more exciting in Destiny 2, these "Faction Rallies" will occur every so often in Destiny 2 and find members of the same group working together as a global unit to complete tasks and earn the most points over the course of the event to hopefully secure access to their faction's featured weapon. Which faction will you be joining on Tuesday?
- Friday the 13th: The Game Lays Out Content Road Map - Illfonic, the developers behind the polarizing Friday the 13th: The Game, has laid out what they expect to deliver over the course of the next few months to their title. Included on this list are "Single Player Challenges," seemingly a far cry from the campaign some were hoping for. Despite what was or wasn't promised from a single-player perspective, is the lack of a cohesive single-player campaign going to alienate series fans or KickStarter backers?
- Phil Spencer Gets Promoted - Phil Spencer has been officially added to Microsoft's Senior Leadership Team, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced this past week. With the head of Xbox securing a seat at the table with the other Microsoft higher-ups, does this signify the company's commitment to the Xbox brand moving forward? Is Phil the right guy to lead Xbox into the future?
- DOOM is 720p/30fps on Switch - It was revealed this past week that DOOM on the Nintendo Switch is targeting 720p/30fps on both handheld and TV mode. How will this affect the overall DOOM experience id Software was originally targeting? Is this going to be a faithful port of the high-octane shooter?
- Plus this week's new releases, what we've been playing, and tons more!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com