Short Pause Gaming Podcast #124: Destiny 2 Beta Impressions, Telltale's Big Summer, & What is Nintendo Thinking With its Online App?
Happy birthday, Brent! In honor of the big guy's big day, the fellas recorded a podcast! The whole squad is here this week, as Brent, Ben, Bender, and Frankie get together once again to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Destiny 2 Beta Impressions - The fellas got their first taste of their most anticipated game of the year this past week, and they've got a lot to discuss. Find out what worked, what didn't, and everything in-between as the guys go in-depth with their Destiny 2 beta experiences. Has the game's new weapon system changed things for the better?
- Telltale Games' Summer Update - Telltale Games dropped a huge update this past week confirming new seasons of Batman (the second in the series), The Walking Dead (its fourth and final season), and, surprisingly, The Wolf Among Us (getting its long-awaited second season). Will Telltale be able to stay on schedule with their upcoming episodic releases and deliver an exciting product to their fans?
- Fighting Game News - EVO 2017 wrapped up last Sunday and with that comes tons of fighting game news! Street Fighter V, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Injustice 2, Dragon Ball FighterZ, BlazBlue, and a whole host of other games were in the headlines last week, and the future looks exceedingly bright for the fighting game genre. With Dragon Ball FighterZ and a variety of other titles in the pipeline, just how many games can developer Arc System Works handle at the same time?
- The Nintendo Switch Online App Sounds Bad - The Nintendo Switch Online App is available now, compatible only with Splatoon 2, and it sounds like our worst fears realized. From disconnecting when receiving a call to the fact that your phone must be kept in the "on" position at all times when the app is in use, this is the least elegant solution we've ever seen when it comes to in-game voice chat. Just what in the world is Nintendo thinking with this thing? How did this ever get off the cutting room floor?
- Nintendo 64 Classic Could Be Next - A curious trademark surfaced recently that has fans wondering if maybe the Nintendo 64 Classic micro-console could be next after the SNES Classic makes the rounds. What games could the Nintendo 64 potentially house?
- June's NPD Results - June's NPD results are in, and PlayStation 4 was the top selling piece of hardware for the month of June, while fighting games Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 ruled the roost on the software side of things. With Prey nowhere to be seen in the top 20 just a month after its release, is the future of single-player only, narrative focused first-person shooters in danger?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com