Short Pause Gaming Podcast #123: Destiny 2's Lightless World, Disney's D23 News, & How Much is Sony Dominating This Gen?
The Destiny 2 Open Beta is almost here! Ahhhhhhh!! Brent's gone this week, but Ben, Bender, and Frankie are still here to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. **Note: There will not be a standard video version of the podcast this week. It will be available in audio form on a variety of podcasting services, as well as on our YouTube page.**
Topics this week include:
- Destiny 2's Open Beta is Almost Here! - Our first taste of Bungie's shared world sequel arrives this week, and the fellas couldn't be more jacked to finally get a chance to lay their hands on Destiny 2. Just how much of the beta are they going to play before time runs out on July 23rd?
- Creating the Story of a Lightless World - In an interview over on IGN this past week as part of their "First" program, some of Bungie's head story writers discussed the focus of Destiny 2's story and their desire to dive deeper into the Light and the Traveler and their overall purpose in the story. Is there really a chance Destiny 2 could have too much story?
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Open Beta Details - We now know that we'll be getting our first taste of Star Wars Battlefront 2 during an open beta that launches in early October. Housing two distinct modes, those who pre-order the game will earn early access to the beta two days early. Is this going to be the Battlefront title that lives up to the franchise's enormous potential? Will the guys be able to pull themselves away from Destiny 2 in order to experience it?
- Toy Story is Coming to Kingdom Hearts III - Disney's D23 event this past weekend was full of cool announcements, but none may have been bigger than the reveal that Toy Story is coming to Kingdom Hearts III, and that the game is targeting release next year in 2018. While the game appears to be much further along than we originally thought, what are the chances this gets delayed to 2019?
- Gran Turismo Sport Launches on October 17th - Polyphony Digital finally confirmed this past week that Gran Turismo Sport will arrive in mid-October, marking the first time the revered series will be seen on the PlayStation 4. What can we expect from the game's included VR mode?
- Sundered Arrives on July 28th - ThunderLotus Games' eagerly anticipated follow-up to Jotun, the incredibly gorgeous Sundered, finally has a release date, and it's right around the corner! With it's mixture of hand-drawn art, rogue-like elements, and metroidvania design, how good is this game destined to be?
- Third-Party Games Coming to Switch - A couple of big name third-party titles in WWE 2K18 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 were officially confirmed for Switch this past week, marking two of the more high-profile third-party developed games to be announced for Nintendo's nascent hardware. What does this mean for the future of third-party support on the platform, and how important is it that these are respectable versions of these games?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com