Short Pause Gaming Podcast #120: The Future of Destiny, Jim Ryan Strikes (Out) Again, & How Loaded is Sony's 1st Half of 2018?
Welcome to Episode 120 of the Short Pause Gaming Podcast! E3 2017 is in the rearview mirror, and things are returning to "business as usual" here in the Short Pause offices. Bender and Frankie are off, so it's a two-man show this week as Brent and Ben get together once again to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Shawn Layden on Sony's Upcoming Slate - In an interview with UK publication The Telegraph this past week, Sony's Shawn Layden dropped the fairly large nugget that the PS4 games due in 2018 from this month's PlayStation E3 presser are all due to release "most likely" in the "first half of 2018." Included in this group are three of PlayStation's top-tier first-party titles: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Marvel's Spider-Man. Is there anyway all three of these blockbuster games arrive before July of 2018? In an ideal world, how might Sony handle the release schedule for these three juggernauts?
- Bungie Talks the Future of Destiny - As fans eagerly await the arrival of Destiny 2's closed beta next month, Bungie continues to drop little bits of news about the title in the lead up to its release. This week, the masters of the shared-world shooter outlined one way in which legacy Guardians will be rewarded for their efforts in Destiny 1, as well as the schedule of events moving forward towards the launch of Destiny 2, including the dates of the final Destiny 1 versions of Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris. Is the narrative of Destiny 2 shaping up to be everything that series fans have been asking for?
- Jim Ryan Needs Prepared Statements - Another week, another Jim Ryan quote makes the rounds for all the wrong reasons. This time, Jimmy's comments were targeting indie games and their perceived relevance in both the scope of Sony's business and their E3 press conference. Regardless of how poorly his message may have been delivered, is Jim Ryan correct in what he's trying to get at here?
- Halo 6 Won't Be Revealed Any Time Soon - Surprising absolutely no one, 343 put the kibosh on Halo 6 showing up in any capacity at Gamescom or PAX, going so far as to say that we won't see the game any time soon. Is there any chance we see Halo 6 before next year's E3?
- May's NPD Results - May's NPD results are in, and as the Switch continues to see supply issues, the PS4 finds itself back on the top of the hardware heap. On the software side of things, Injustice 2 had a stellar debut, planting the game firmly at the top of the software list. With Prey charting in the middle of the pack, is this yet another Bethesda story-driven title that is going to underperform?
- Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition Hits Consoles in August - PC RPG hit Pillars of Eternity is finally console bound, as the highly regarded role-playing title hits PS4 and Xbox One August 29th. In the midst of everything releasing around it, is this a poor release date for the game?
- Skull & Bones Will Have a Campaign - Ubisoft's slick-looking pirate sim, Skull & Bones, is not going to be multiplayer-only after all. A Ubisoft representative confirmed this past week that the game will indeed have a single-player component. Is this going to be a tacked on game mode, or will we actually see a fully-fleshed out single-player narrative when all is said and done?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com