Short Pause Gaming Podcast #116: Farpoint's Potential Impact on VR, Hitman's Future in Limbo, & What's Next for Mass Effect?
It's back to business as usual this week as the gang's all here to once again talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Farpoint Releases on Tuesday - There are a ton of awesome looking new releases on the docket for this week, none maybe more so than developer Impulse Gear's first-person VR shooter, Farpoint. With the weight on the AAA first-person shooter genre on its shoulders, is Farpoint going to be the watershed AAA VR title that it has the potential to be?
- Square Enix is Parting Ways With IO Interactive - In a surprise move, Square Enix announced that it is looking to cut ties with Hitman developer, IO Interactive. What does this mean for the future of the Hitman franchise, and why aren't more people purchasing slower, more deliberate stealth-based single-player games?
- Mass Effect is Put on Ice - Kotaku reported this past week that Bioware Montreal, the developers behind Mass Effect: Andromeda, have been scaled down and will now function as a support studio tasked with helping complete Bioware's other gaming development endeavors. As a result, the Mass Effect series will be put on hiatus, at least for now. What does this mean for the future of the franchise? Will we see another series entry any time soon?
- A New Thief Game in the Works? - Straight Up Films, the firm in possession of the film rights for the Thief series, let it be known that there is a new Thief game in the works to coincide with the proposed movie. Would Square Enix really put the kibosh on Deus Ex yet still keep Thief, a vastly inferior title, in the development rotation?
- Halo 6 Will Not Be At E3 - In a somewhat surprising announcement, 343 Industries announced this past week that while there will be "a little something" Halo-related at Microsoft's E3 conference this year, it will not be related to the next numbered game in the franchise. Is this the right move with the Scorpio set to release this holiday season?
- Microsoft's Unannounced Third-Party Partnership - Reliable industry insider shinobi602 stated this past week that Microsoft has a marketing deal on a major unannounced AAA title that they presumably plan to announce at E3. Could this be something Ubisoft related?
- Nintendo Confirms Their E3 Plans - As expected, Nintendo's E3 will consist of their traditional (at least more recently) Tuesday pre-recorded Nintendo Direct presentation, followed immediately by an extended Treehouse Live segment. There are also planned tournaments for Splatoon 2 and ARMS. Is Nintendo missing a golden opportunity to host a live press conference as excitement surrounding the Switch reaches a fever pitch?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com