Short Pause Gaming Podcast #113: COD: WWII Announced, SNES Mini, & Will Outlast 2 Raise the Bar for Horror Games Again?
Another week, another jam packed slate of new releases to get excited about. Will 2017 ever take its foot off the gas? What's a group of hardcore gamers to do? Keep filling up that backlog and talking games, of course! Undeterred by the year's relentless onslaught on excellent titles, Brent, Ben, and Bender get together once again to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Outlast II Releases This Tuesday - The sequel to Red Barrel Games' gold standard in horror releases this Tuesday, and genre fans are pumped to get their hands on this eagerly anticipated sequel. Is this game poised to take the scares and disturbing themes introduced in the first Outlast to the next level?
- Call of Duty: WWII is Confirmed - Activision has officially confirmed Sledgehammer Games' next Call of Duty title, and the rumors were indeed correct. Call of Duty: WWII takes the series back to its roots, with an official livestream world premiere reveal scheduled for later this week. With a blockbuster single-player campaign, a robust multiplayer suite, and a completely separate co-op campaign rumored to be part of the package, does this have the potential to be the best Call of Duty yet?
- SNES Mini Rumored to Launch This Year - Hot on the heels of the baffling discontinuation of the ultra-popular NES Classic Edition, Eurogamer is reporting that Nintendo has their sights set on an SNES mini-console for this holiday season. Will the Big N have learned from the mistakes they made with the NES Classic Edition? And why can't we just hear about the Virtual Console for Switch instead?
- March's NPD Results - The numbers are in, and Nintendo's brand new handheld/console hybrid is a smash hit! Both the Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold like gangbusters last month, with Ghost Recon: Wildlands (top piece of software for the month of March), Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Horizon: Zero Dawn also making strong showings. Can the Switch keep this momentum going with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe releasing soon?
- Farpoint has Gone Gold - The next big thing in virtual reality is ready for prime time as developer Impulse Gear's first-person sci-fi epic, Farpoint, has gone gold for PSVR. With the weight of the virtual reality world on its shoulders, is Farpoint poised to show what's possible in the AAA-space on PSVR?
- May's Games With Gold Have Been Revealed - Microsoft has pulled the cover off its Games with Gold for May, unveiling a solid lineup which includes Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Director's Cut, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. How does this month stack up as a whole?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com