Short Pause Gaming Podcast #107: Our Impressions of Nintendo Switch, Breath of the Wild, & Horizon Zero Dawn
The gang's all here! After an exciting week -- a week that could go down as one of the best weeks in the history of gaming -- the fellas are rip-roaring and ready to discuss the latest and greatest in the world of video games. Topics this week include:
- Nintendo Releases its Newest Gaming Console - The Switch finally hit store shelves on Friday, March 3rd, and the whole crew picked up Nintendo's newest console on launch day. After a few days with the unit, the guys are ready to discuss the hardware, the interface, the games, and everything in-between. Does the Big N's newest system deliver the goods fans are looking for?
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Fantastic - As the Switch's marquee launch title, Breath of the Wild has a lot riding on its shoulders in terms of the new console's initial success. The fellas go hands-on with Link's latest adventure, and it doesn't disappoint. Is this poised to be the best entry in The Legend of Zelda series yet?
- Horizon Zero Dawn is Also Fantastic - Not only did Nintendo release the Switch and Breath of the Wild this past week, but Sony released one of their most anticipated titles of the year in orizon Zero Dawn, and so far it lives up to the hype. The squad talks their early impressions of the game's visuals, mechanics, story, and combat. Is it hyperbole to call Horizon Zero Dawn the most technically impressive console game of all-time?
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is Officially Announced - It's been a long-time coming, but WB Games has finally pulled the veil off of Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, the eagerly anticipated sequel to the smash-hit Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The publisher also reveals that March 8 will see the first ever footage of actual gameplay for the title! With Shadow of War now on the docket for late August, can 2017 get any better for gamers?
- Bungie Talks Destiny's Near-Future - Bungie gave its fan a little morsel of information regarding the future of their favorite sci-fi shooter franchise a few days ago confirming the controversial rumor that power, possessions, and Eververse items will not carry over into Destiny 2. Your character's appearance, however, will make the transition. Is this a necessary step towards creating the kind of game that Bungie and the fans have been clamoring for with Destiny 2? Also, what is "Age of Triumph," and how will it usher in the formal end of Destiny 1?
- Microsoft Introduces Xbox Game Pass - Not to be outdone by its cohorts at Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft made waves of its own this past week when they announced Xbox Game Pass, a subscription-based gaming service that can best be described as "Netflix for Xbox." Is this forward-thinking initiative set to be the future of gaming? Might Sony follow suit and tweak PlayStation Now to be something more appealing?
- PSVR is an Even Bigger Success Than Sony Expected - Sony finally revealed some concrete sales numbers on PlayStation VR in a recent New York Times article, and the unit is selling even better than anticipated to the tune of 915,000 headsets in its first four months on sale. With the hardware on pace to exceed initial expectations, will Sony be able to keep up the unit's momentum and meet sales demand in the months ahead?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com