Short Pause Gaming Podcast #106 - Ghost Recon: Wildlands Beta Disappoints, WB's Next Batman Game, & Nintendo Switch Launch Week Hype!
Frankie and Bender entered cryostasis this past week in anticipation of the launch of the Nintendo Switch on March 3rd, and their cryofreeze capsules aren't set to open until Thursday, March 2nd at 11:59pm. In the meantime, it's a two-man show this week as Brent and Ben tackle the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- The Nintendo Switch Launches March 3rd - It's been a long time coming, but Nintendo is finally ready to release their next piece of hardware this coming Friday. In anticipation of the launch, the fellas discuss the hardware, the launch lineup, and their plans for March 3rd. Is the Switch worthy of a day one purchase?
- The Biggest Week in Gaming - The Nintendo Switch isn't the only thing coming out this week. Horizon Zero Dawn and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild headline one of the biggest release weeks we're likely to see in gaming all year. Are these two titles alone destined to be on nearly everyone's Game of the Year list come December 2017?
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands Impressions - Brent and Ben have gone hands-on with Ghost Recon: Wildlands in both the closed and open betas for the title, and they've got some concerns. Are the game's frustrating controls enough to cause the guys to hold off on Ubisoft's ambitious open world opus?
- Marvel Talks Games - Marvel Games' Creative Director, Bill Rosemann, spoke at DICE 2017 this past weekend, and he had some good things to say that fans of both comic books and video games can get excited about. Marvel's upcoming slate of games will not be tied to continuity, allowing creators to mold and shape their own version of Marvel's greatest heroes and villains, and Rosemann reiterated Marvel's dedication to creating top tier, "game of the year" quality titles with some of the industry's best creators. With this refreshing new approach to their gaming division, is Marvel's new stable of titles destined to follow in the footsteps of the Batman: Arkham series?
- Rumor: WB Montreal's Preparing a New Batman Game - A suspect rumor emerged this past week as an alleged disgruntled employee for WB Games Montreal took to Reddit to spill the beans on the next Batman: Arkham game he says his studio is working on. He claims the game is titled Batman: Arkham Insurgency, and that it takes places a few years after Arkham Origins and follows a plot that finds a portion of Gotham under super-villain rule after a massive prison breakout. While some of the provided details sound cool, is there any chance this rumor is even remotely true? How big of a grain of salt should we be taking this information with?
- Mass Effect: Andromeda has Gone Gold - Bioware's next entry in their revered RPG franchise is officially ready for prime time. Mass Effect: Andromeda has gone gold, and the game is now set for its release date on March 21st. With the revelation that one area (of many) in Mass Effect: Andromeda is bigger than the entirety of Dragon Age: Inquisition by itself, just how large is this game world going to be?
- Final Fantasy XIV FanFest - A fan event last weekend celebrated everything Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and it brought with it some new information about the game to boot. We now know the Samurai job class is coming with the upcoming Stormblood expansion, and that Square Enix is working on a PS4 Pro patch for the near future. With the popularity of Final Fantasy XIV on the rise, what are the chances we see the game make its way over to the Switch or Xbox One?
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com