Short Pause Gaming Podcast #140: Battlefront 2 Axes MTXs, Curse of Osiris Revealed, & Is PUBG GOTY Material?
The dynamic duo rides again! Join Brent and Ben as they once again join forces to talk the latest and greatest in the very busy world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- EA and Dice Remove All Microtransactions From Star Wars Battlefront 2 - In a stunning and unprecedented move late last week, EA and developer Dice completely pulled the plug (albeit temporarily) on microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront 2, amidst growing unrest, in order to rework the game's heavily criticized progression and loot box system. What should Battlefront 2's loot box and progression system look like after it's retooled?
- Curse of Osiris Revealed - In the first of three planned live streams this past Wednesday, Bungie revealed the first major details surrounding Destiny 2's first big expansion, dubbed Curse of Osiris, and it's story and setting. Will Curse of Osiris be able to capitalize on its fantastic story premise and tell an interesting yarn?
- Marvel Heroes is Shutting Down - In a surprising move this past week, Marvel and Disney announced the end of their relationship with developer Gazillion and subsequent cancellation of their long-running free-to-play action-RPG/MMO, Marvel Heroes Omega. The game is fully unlocked currently and will see its servers shut down on December 31 of this year. Are console gamers, who just joined the Marvel Heroes party earlier this summer, rightly angry at the fact that this game is closing down for them already, especially the ones who have spent money on the game?
- October's NPD Results - The numbers are in, and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is the big winner on the NPD software charts for the month of October, while the Nintendo Switch remains the top-selling piece of hardware. With new Bethesda games The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus debuting at a disappointing 13 and 14 on the software charts respectively, what does this mean for the future of Bethesda's single-player, narrative focused titles not-named Fallout or The Elder Scrolls?
- The Game Awards Nominees Have Been Announced - The nominees for this year's Game Awards, hosted by Geoff Keighley, are in, and the Game of the Year race looks to be as hotly contested as ever. With a field full of blockbuster titles polished to a shine, does PUBG, an early access darling that's taken the gaming world by storm, deserve a "seat at the table" so to speak?
- The Exhibitors and Games of PSX 2017 - PlayStation Experience 2017 is right around the corner, and this year's show looks set to be the biggest version of the fan event yet. What games and developers can we expect to see represented at this year's version of the event, and what surprises might the opening presentation on Friday night (December 8) have in store?
- Mario Back in Hollywood? - Reports are circulating that Nintendo is in talks to bring Mario back to Hollywood in an animated film by the studio behind Minions. Is this a match made in heaven for Nintendo fans and cinema buffs alike?
- Plus this week's new releases, what we've been playing, and tons more!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com