Short Pause Gaming Podcast 134: Iron Banner Changes, SIE Shakeup, & PUBG Extending Xbox Exclusivity?
The whole gang is back together this week as Brent, Ben, Bender, and Frankie once again get together to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- Battle Chasers: Nightwar Impressions - Developer Airship Syndicate's turn-based RPG is out in the wild now, and the fellas can't get enough of it. Find out why Battle Chasers: Nightwar is a must-play RPG.
- Big Changes Coming to Destiny 2's Iron Banner - The Iron Lords are finally returning to the world of Destiny 2 this week, as Bungie's shared-world shooter prepares for its first iteration of the Iron Banner tournament. With level advantage turned off for this event, is this massive change something fans of Destiny were hoping to see, or does this go against the spirit of what the Iron Banner was created for in the first place?
- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition Announced - After weeks of rumors, Capcom has finally officially confirmed that Street Fighter V is getting an Arcade Edition re-release in January, and that all of the new tweaks and updates will, of course, be coming to the base game as a free update. Does Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition fly directly in the face of Capcom's "no iterative" model edict with Street Fighter V, or are people simply missing the point of what this is actually intended to be?
- Unsung Story Announced for Consoles - Unsung Story -- the Kickstarter darling billed as the spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics and developed in conjunction with that game's director -- announced this past week that, despite the failure of its campaign to reach the required stretch goals, the game will be released on consoles in addition to its previously announced platforms. With years of development under their belts and nothing tangible to show gamers for their efforts, is adding additional platforms to the game's development cycle the right move for Unsung Story's developers?
- Executive Shakeup at Sony Interactive Entertainment - Andrew House announced he would be stepping down from his post atop the PlayStation business this past week, bringing an end to a long journey he's been on for the past 25+ years. John Kodera will be stepping in to take his place. The fellas spend a few minutes reflecting on House's time with PlayStation, and why his legacy is one that won't soon be forgotten within Sony's hallowed walls.
- Ubisoft Fighting Off Vivendi - Ubisoft took another big step towards fighting off the hostile takeover of their business by Vivendi this past week as they announced their plan to buy back some 4 million shares of the company's stock by the end of the year. Is this the significant blow to Vivendi's takeover plan that Ubisoft needed?
- Bluehole Speaking With Micosoft About Extending PUBG's Exclusivity Period - An interesting rumor emerged this past week suggesting that Bluehole may be in talks with Microsoft about extending PUBG's timed-exclusivity period even longer than originally planned, possibly into the second half of 2018. Is there any truth to this rumor? Could this essentially be a shrewd business move on the part of Bluehole and the PUBG team?
- Plus this week's new releases, what we've been playing, and tons more!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, Stitcher, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com