Short Pause Gaming Podcast #103: PS4 Pro Goes Boost Mode, Deus Ex is in Trouble, & We Go Hands-On With Nintendo Switch!
Brent's still out on paternity leave (the Short Pause insurance plan covers that, right?), but Bender's back from his PAX South road trip as he joins Ben and Frankie to talk the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Detailed - While external hard drive support (FINALLY!), custom themes, and 3D Blu-Ray playback via the PSVR headset are all coming to the PS4 with the next firmware update sometime soon, it's the new system software's hidden PS4 Pro feature that has everyone buzzing. Boost Mode allows older PS4 games, or those that have not received a PS4 Pro patch, to access increased performance gains by unlocking the extra power inherent in the PS4's upgraded model. What does this potentially game-changing feature mean for the entirety of the PS4's robust software lineup? Is this the coolest/most useful firmware update for Sony's machine yet?
- The Future of Deus Ex is in Jeopardy - Word out of Square Enix and Eidos Montreal is that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided did not sell very well. This has put the future of the series in uncertain territory, as developer Eidos Montreal moves onto other projects, including a Marvel game based on the Guardians of the Galaxy and the recently leaked Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Will Deus Ex be shelved for the foreseeable future? Also, is there a place in this industry for narrative-driven, first-person single-player experiences any more?
- What is Warner Bros. Teasing? - A cryptic tweet out of IGN France (of all places) advises fans to "Save the Date" on March 8, 2017. Is finally going to be the announcement of a new Shadow of Mordor game? A new Batman game? Is this even going to be a substantial announcement? We'll all find out on March 8!
- New Breath of the Wild Fan Theory - A report out of Eurogamer postulated this past week that the appearance of the bird-like Rito race of creatures could give us an important hint as to Breath of the Wild's placement in the official Zelda timeline. Could Breath of the Wild be another sequel to Wind Waker?
- EA's Investor Meeting Reveals New Details - EA held an investor's meeting this past week, and it was chock full of interesting nuggets for gamers to chew on. Star Wars Battlefront 2's release window, Bioware's new IP, Skate 4's future, and the latest Need for Speed were all mentioned in some capacity. Is Battlefront 2 going to the be the epic sequel fans are waiting to see?
- PAX South 2017: Hands-On With Nintendo Switch - Our very own Bender Holt had a chance to travel down to PAX South 2017 a week ago, and he spent some time with Nintendo's newest piece of hardware. Is this the product Nintendo fans are hoping it will be? Also, what other games stood out at the show?
- Plus, this week's new releases and much, much MORE!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com