Short Pause Gaming Podcast #101: Reflecting on Nintendo Switch, Injustice 2's Roster, & What is Playdead's Next Project?
Welcome to the wonderful 101st episode of the Short Pause Gaming Podcast! Before we go any further, we must first send a heartfelt congratulations to our gaming brother-in-podcasting and Short Pause stalwart, Brent Felsing, on the birth of his beautiful new son! We're beyond excited for you and your family! While Brent adjusts to life with baby Anderson for the next few weeks, it's up to Ben, Bender, and Frankie to hold the fort down here, talking the latest and greatest in the world of gaming. Topics this week include:
- This Week in Nintendo Switch News - The Switch may have had its official reveal just over one week ago, but there's still plenty of questions we need answered, and this week saw a number of new revelations about Nintendo's next piece of hardware. From memory limitations, to third-party software, to a very interesting interview with Reggie Fils-Aime courtesy of Time magazine, Nintendo and the Switch stayed in the headlines this past week. Most interestingly, did Reggie leave the door open to the possibility of an achievement system on the Switch?
- Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct - As promised, Nintendo delivered their first Direct presentation of the new year, centered around their beloved strategy franchise, Fire Emblem. While fans weren't quite sure what to expect, the presentation lifted the veil on the future of the Fire Emblem franchise, officially announcing a new game in the series for New 3DS, showing gameplay footage of Fire Emblem Warriors, officially showing the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game, and even confirming that a traditional Fire Emblem is in development for the Switch to be released in 2018. Is Fire Emblem poised to be an even bigger franchise for Nintendo over the next few years?
- Injustice 2 Gets its First Story Trailer - Hot on the heels of the reveal of the game's release date, NetherRealm released the first story trailer for Injustice 2 this past week, and it was suitably epic, full of super-heroes and super-villains beating the crap out of each other. Now that Poison Ivy, Bane, Darkseid, and Brainiac are confirmed to be in the game, who else from the DC Universe can we expect to be a part of the final roster?
- Playdead Teases Its Next Project - While Inside is not even a year old, developer Playdead is already dropping hints as to what their next project will entail. Is this going to be a brand new IP, or might this be related to Inside in some kind of way? Also, just what exactly is Inside about?
- December's NPD Results - We know PlayStation 4 was the number piece of hardware last month, and now we know that Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare topped the software charts alongside it. Final Fantasy XV also turned in an impressive showing. Does this mean the franchise is back near the top of the AAA heap?
- Yakuza 0 Impressions - Frankie played through and reviewed Yakuza 0 for the site, and he loved it! He shares his thoughts on the game and why it's something that should be on most gamers' radars.
- Plus, this week's new releases and much, much MORE!
- Also available on iTunes , TuneIn, YouTube, & Google Play
- Email Questions & Feedback: Podcast@ShortPause.com